- You want to use the preferred standard format: "The children of John2 and Mary (Jones) Smith were as follows:"
- You want to vary things a little: "The only child of John2 and Mary (Jones) Smith was:"
- You want to qualify the list:
- "The children of John2 and Mary (Jones) Smith have not been determined."
- "John2 and Mary (Jones) Smith were the parents of seven children; only the following four have been identified:"
- "The known children of John2 Smith and Mary Jones, ordered according to John's will, were as follows:"
- You're dealing with a single parent and the phrase, "and an unknown spouse," is actually very wrong: "The child of Mary2 Jones (father unknown) was:"
- You're dealing with an adoption:
- "The adopted child of John2 and Mary (Jones) Smith (said child's biological parents unknown) was:"
- "Adopted children of John2 Smith (said children born to his wife Mary Jones by her first husband, Thomas1 Brown) were as follows:"
- You want to include stepchildren raised in the family: "The stepchild of John2 Smith, child of his wife Mary Jones by her first husband, Thomas1 Brown, was:"
Terry's discussion of the NarrativeChildren and its possible roles is more basic than that found in the WhollyGenes Forum post. The latter has some wonderful - and complex - examples. Although the example shown below was created with different NarrativeChildren roles, my preferred customization of the NarrativeChildren tag is much simpler - and is illustrated in the next post.
|Pre-edit Journal report showing improved Child Intro lines|
Since the NarrativeChildren tag is so versatile, why not use it all the time? Are there any problems? Yes, there are a few. You will need to decide for yourself, whether or not, and how, to use this tag.
- No superscript generation indicator is generated with the NarrativeChildren tag. This means that indicator needs to be added during the final edit.
- There is no way to create appropriate NarrativeChildren tags when the same couple has both biological children and adopted children and/or stepchildren.
- Things can get very confusing if you try to create NarrativeChildren tag roles for both the biological parents and the step/adoptive parent combinations for the same child.