Become a Better Researcher

Our research problems are unique and our genealogy software, to be useful, must be flexible enough to match our respective problems and our respective methods. The Master Genealogist is that software, but power and flexibility has a down side. The more options a program has, the more decisions the user must make. This year, the Tri-Valley TMG User Group will explore those options and make some of those personal decisions. Would you like to play along with us? Do each month's assignment, and if you like, e-mail it to us at: tvtmg.chair@L-AGS.org. We'll post some of the completed assignments on this blog each month. Let's hear it for choices!

Friday, December 26, 2014

My NarrativeChildren Tag

There are some truly wonderful ideas in the Wholly Genes Forum post, "NarrativeChildren sentences." I am a minimalist when it comes to roles, however. I'm glad roles exist, but I seldom go out of my way to create beautifully convoluted sentences using them. I use only a few NarrativeChildren sentences, and I could easily get by with only one of the options I've created. So far, I haven't encountered any real problems with these sentences. That doesn't mean problems won't arise in the future, and if you see any problems, please let me know.

NarrativeChildren Tag Type Definition: Roles and Sentences tab

Corresponding NarrativeChildren tag
My most frequently used NarrativeChildren sentence is shown above. [M1] is the Child Intro line used if the primary father belongs to the line being followed. [M2] is the Child Intro line that appears if the primary mother belongs to the line being followed. The yellow highlighted area shows the other sentences that I use relatively often.

NarrativeChildren Tag Type Definition: Reminder
I use the Tag Type Definition's Reminder area for sentence examples, all of them taken from Joan Ferris Curran, Mailyn Coen Crane and John H. Wray, Numbering Your Genealogy: Basic Systems, Complex Families, and International Kin (Arlington: National Genealogical Society, rev. 2008). This area also reminds me that the superscript generation indicator must be added in the report's final edit.

NarrativeChildren Tag Help Screen
Don't forget TMG's Help file! Note the two special codes defined here: [:NONE:], which suppresses the Child Intro line, and [:NoBirthPlaces:], which suppresses each child's place of birth in the child list. These can be included in the Memo field, thus eliminating the need for a couple of my defined sentences.

Conclusion

If it weren't for the fact that the superscript generation indicator is not generated in a report when one overrides TMG's standard Child Intro line with the ChildNarrative tag, I would probably use it all the time. It allows more clarity, precision, and variety than the standard line. If you're interested in the few sentences I do use, please feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment